Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Omnivore's Dilemma

"You know, I could never go vegetarian."

That was me a month ago.

"Vegetarians are starry-eyed, idealistic pansies. They’re the worst kind of liberals,” I half-coherently declare as I nom nom on a grease-laden morsel of Kung Pao chicken.

“In fact, vegetarians are not even real people. Paul McCartney’s not real. Real people eat meat. Like me."

That was the introduction of a "going green" article I recently submitted to a student health magazine. Don't worry, this is not going to be a post picking on vegetarians or anything of the sort. It's actually quite the opposite. With three (sort of) vegetarians in the house, this post is instead dedicated to celebrating vegetarianism. Ever since Angie and I became (once again, sort of) vegetarians, we've been stocking up on a whole lot of tofu, mushroom, and yummy yummy Carbs! Having been a meat-monopolizing Porky Pig fan before, this change has been radical for me, and let me tell you, it's shown more change in my life than the change Obama's been promising. But the point of this post is not to criticize or preach; rather, I'd like to share with you what's been (literally) cooking in Apt 307:


MAIN DISHES



1. Sweet-and-spicy fried tofu and eggplant dish, sauteed in tomato juice, sprinkled with peanuts, and garnished with home-grown green onions. Drool.



2. Tofu with broccoli and pepper flakes. Major ingredients: honey, hoison sauce, and spicy beancurd sauce.




3. Vegetarian dumplings: mushroom, tofu, cabbage, and a slew of Asian sauces (soy sauce, Guilin chili sauce, black pepper, ginger juice, sesame oil, sugar, salt)



BAKED GOODS!




4. Cranberry oatmeal cookies. I think Yessenia used flax seed as a substitute for eggs and butter?




5. Mint chocolate chip cookies! Dude, she made these cookies within an hour after the cranberry ones. If I were religious, I'd worship this girl!



BEVERAGES




6. OMGAH HOME-MADE TAPIOCA MILK TEA. LOL doesn't it look like Angie and I are lining up at a soup kitchen? For home-made milk tea, I'm not ashamed at all!



MISCELLANEOUS



7. Pancakes! We didn't make these from scratch, but we did add our own little touch. We made chocolate shaving pancakes (lol would you expect any less from six sugar-addicted girls?) and apple and cinnamon pancakes, mmm!



8. And lastly, a typical dinner during finals: Ramen. I love ramen! I don't know if it's weird, but I get excited when I get the chance to eat ramen! I actually didn't realize I had ramen until Ana found some foster ramen hidden in the back of the communal-use cupboard. Ramen ramen ramen party! Except I think Liz is eating an organic TV dinner of some sort here lol.


Okay so that was one unnecessarily long post, but if you're still reading this, muchas gracias and hope you enjoyed the food adventures of Apt 307! I don't know how long I'll be vegetarian for (I still have intense cravings for meat! don't tell Yessenia) but food like this certainly makes it a lot easier! Thanks to Angie for inviting me to this food blog and I wish you all a splendiforous holiday season!

Good day and happy eating :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HELLO TJ AND ANGIE!!

Oh ho ho, meat still lingers in your heart. oh ho!

angie said...

we should take pictures of fulfillment to accompany every meal! :D